Saturday, September 5, 2009

Miss Libby, you look dashing

I have been dying to learn how to smock fabric for a while now and with my beautiful friend McCall having a perfect baby girl recently, I knew I had the perfect opportunity to learn. I often notice that there is not a lot of choices when it comes to baby fashion, so I tried to stay away from pink and cartoons. I think it turned out so cute! Once I meet little Libbers, I may need to do a fitting and some alterations because I'm no expert on newborn body proportions. (I kept looking at McCalls blog at pics and trying to guess how big she was..haha) Or if its too big she can just grow into it. Let me know if you want one because I need to keep honing my smocking skills, and I don't have a baby so....




4 comments:

Jodi said...

Ali, did you do the smocking with elastic? I need to learn how to do that. I made a shirt the other day (that I'll post soon) I think you'll like. If we were roommates now instead of long ago I feel that much crafting would happen.

Also, I've heard other good things about She & Him. I think I'll finally download it. Thanks!

McCall said...

i love it! she loves it! we love it! we love you! can't wait to have a fashion show when you arrive! THX!

alibrough said...

Jodi...

Yes. I used elastic thread (from Joann's) I had the most success when I hand wound the elastic thread around the bobbin and used regular thread for the top stitch because you have to keep tension on your top thread so you can only use the elastic in your bobbin. After I got the hang of it, it was actually pretty easy. My other recomendation is to not pull the elastic until you have smocked all your rows. I think Liberty Square stifled our creative juices!

McCall-
Yay can't wait to see you guys.

Unknown said...

That is so cute! And anything at the moment (except Jessica's newborn onesies) are too big for little miss peanut! I love that you are being so crafty ... I used to be crafty ... now, not so much.