Thursday, August 27, 2009

As for me...I Choose Civility

Over the past year...I have had some tough times. When you come out the other end and look back at the path you just walked it is a whole new perspective. It has been such a great experience for me to be TOTALLY on my own. I mean I moved to a state where I didn't know a soul to work in one of the most brutal industries on the planet. It opened my eyes to a lot of things. In the past year I had two experiences of people I knew being really really mean to me. The first was one of my cousins. I made a cheeky comment about a facebook photo of hers and she took offense to it. For the next week she went on a rampage of really personal attacks hitting every soft spot and unleashing some serious pent up hate. It was a big turning point for me. First of all, I never should have made the cheeky comment, it was my fault that the whole thing was started in the first place. And secondly it gave me an opportunity to apologize and mean it and then not retaliate. It was hard. Believe me. My mind was ferociously wording daggar sentances and hording them away that I might strike at any moment. Everyone I talked to told me to give her a piece of her own medicine. But I never did. I just let it blow over and I am so happy that I did. Same thing happened when a roomate had done some dishonest dealings with my rent money. I felt seriously wronged and when I confronted him he could only manage a personal attack. This time I just didn't have the strength to fight the fight. But I am really glad that I didn't because when I look back, I know that I was the stand up person in both situations. Pat on the back Ali.

HOWEVER, I haven't always been this way. I can be a huge gossip and have definitely been rude and disrespectful in my life. Not cool. So what changed? I think this year has allowed a lot of time for self-reflection. And I also have been so appreciative of every small gesture that has come my way. Sometimes it is a card in the mail or a 10 minute phone call or even a comment on my blog. It makes me so happy!. So I decided to give out more (I found out that I have an UNLIMITED supply of nice gestures! CRAZY) And when you give it...there is this mysterious power that sends it back your way. Good people attract good people. With my LIVE SIMPLY and SIMPLY LIVE! year I am making an effort to choose civility over rudeness. When I buy my weekly lotto ticket and hot dog from 7-11 I make sure to add a please and thank you to whoever is behind the counter and also to hand them my money and not just throw it on the counter. Its the small things that count. I am working hard at not interupting people (I am really bad at that and I didn't even notice untill Oprah told me on her ettiquette show) and to be courteous with my cell phone (people it is rude to talk on the phone when your with someone else...) I am also reading this book.




This is getting long winded but I just wanted to reflect on where I came from, why Im here and where Im going all in an effort to be an all around better person today than I was yesterday. Heres a quote that Oprah showed me :

"We never touch someone so lightly that we don't leave a trace" - Peter Dale Scott

Not long ago someone that I look up to a lot told me that I should think of the word that I would want other people to use to describe me. Like how do I want other people to see me in one word? I chose "Delightful." Whenever I have a choice to make, I think to myself...what would be the "delightful" choice? It helps me...

Cheers to Choosing Civility. (I'm holding my diet Pepsi can up...anyone wanna clink me?) (Can I get a clink clink??)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

clinkity clink. great post. and the book sounds great too - just added it to my goodreads list. :)

Chelsi said...

Clink!!! I love this post. Good job on wanting to be a better person, we all need to work on that huh? I saw this book on Oprah and wanted to read it but totally forgot about it until you just brought it up. I am going to get it and start it ASAP. Thanks Ali! I'm excited to see you next month for Jessicas wedding.

Jodi said...

I'll clink you if you'll allow my diet Coke to contact your diet Pepsi, some people get touchy about that.

I'm glad you touched my life Ali. I think about you often and I'm glad you're doing well.

Unknown said...

You are very "delightful" Ali! And have I already told you how much I LOVE your profile pic? So fun, so cute! The other day Elliott said, "Who is the one that likes me again?" And I told him that would be Ali! It will be good to see you soon! (Yay for Libbers coming, huh???)

And you will find lots of little "lessons" like you wrote about as you get older. It is really just better in the long run to be nice, polite, and pleasant to people. It is never the wrong thing to do!

Sam Jo said...

Clink!
Isnt it funny how people saying Please and Thank you is so shocking! Good luck with your task! I am sure you will be delightful in everything you do!
XOXO

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices around the world.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://byqicoze.freewebportal.com/ogawiv.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to become rich

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have been times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
Now, I'm happy and lucky , I started take up real income.
It gets down to choose a proper companion who uses your funds in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the profit with me.

You may get interested, if there are such firms? I'm obliged to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please be informed of one of them:
http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]