Saturday, August 29, 2009

Cafe Rio...Yes I will marry you...


I can't believe I have gone over a year without living with Cafe Rio as an everyday part of my life...I mean my mom is great and all, but what I really miss is the Rio. There is nothing like it (believe me, LA has its share of fab cuisine, but nothing even comes close) The beauty of Cafe Rio is that I ALWAYS want it. If Im having a good day I think to myself "Today is such a great day! You know what would make it even better? Cafe Rio!" And if I'm having a bad day it's more like "Ugh, today has been the worst day...I need some Cafe Rio takeout and a movie in my bed STAT!" I've never done any drugs in my life but this has got to be what heroin feels like. Intervention?? I digress....the reason for this post is that you didn't think I would give up so easily did you??? After working and working I finally have whittled down a recipe for the cafe rio salad dressing. Here goes:

Cilantro Lime Dressing:

2/3 c buttermilk
2 c mayo
2 c cilantro leaves
2 ranch dressing mix packets (dont get the dip mix...its different)
5 medium size tomatillos
2 t crushed jalapeno (this can vary depending how spicy you like it- this would be mid-range)
4 cloves of garlic
juice from one lime

Put it all in a blender and blend your way to deliciousness... This makes the size of a mason jar but you can easily half the recipe if you want to try it out and taste your way to perfection...

Happy Eating

p.s...After emailing the Cafe Rio corporate offices (no lie) I received word that they are opening up their first Cafe Rio in California this November!!!! I mean its like 45 min away but YOU KNOW IM GOING!! Im thinking Nelly and I will suddenly start enjoying the beaches in orange county a lot more now that we have a reason to make the drive : )

p.p.s....For all of you with access...please have burrito in my honor...I cant seem to figure out that darn enchilada sauce!

7 comments:

Sam Jo said...

We had rio last night because we had friends in from Cali and thats all they wanted! I had a veggy salad with creamy dressing! Yummy! I made this recipe once and I could have drank it! The best place to get similar tortillas is Costco. They have ones that you fry your self! They are soft just like rios!
XOXO

McCall said...

i wish my husband liked it! i go a lot less now that you're gone and it's very sad. we'll hit it up when i see you in 19 days! yay!!! and my baby...weird.

alibrough said...

SAM! What is this you speak of. Ok. Am I buying dough or tortillas? What section are they in? And how do I fry them myself? Help! Teach me your chef ways!!

PS...I get the veggy salad too! No rice pinto beans extra guac!

PPS...Im posting this comment on your blog too just to make sure you get it.

Sam Jo said...

You get them in the frozen or cold section... I cant remember where I pick them up at. They are dough and you just put oil in a frying pan and fry it up to how crisp you like it!!! I dont fry mine very much... Just enough for them to be cooked!

Unknown said...

I heard a pregnant woman once asked an employee what they put in their food to make it so addicting (concerned for her baby) and the guy told her powdered caffiene ... hmmmmm ... maybe???? (You didn't put that in your recipe!) :)

amber {and co.} said...

Ali I have a Cafe Rio pork and cilantro rice recipe that is pretty good if you want it, let me know! Also, I get the Costco tortillas also but I don't fry them with oil, just heat them up in a frying pan, I like it better that way :)

amber {and co.} said...

Also, Cafe Rio is possibly one of the only things that would convince me to move back to UT... :)