Monday, November 23, 2009

Team Cinemetographer??

My New Moon Review





Today I saw New Moon. If you know me, you know that I don't like any talking during movies, so I purposely waited until I could go to a showing where there would be no screaming girls. Here is my review.

I am blown away by the cinematography in this film. It was spectacular. I especially enjoyed the scene with the wolves fighting where they gave the impression that, in the midst of their fight, they knocked over a camera. The only time the camera work bothered me was during the lunchroom scenes. I wish they would have just put it on a tripod instead of doing the hand-held wiggle. I'm rarely a fan of "reality style shooting" unless its a reality show. Overall the cinematography gets an A+++ in my book.

I felt, as I felt in the last film, that the acting by the two leads was sub par...particularly Kristen Stewart. For me, she is a one note. She has one expression, one mood, one body language, etc. How am I supposed to believe that two handsome men fell in love with her when she is so blase? In the book she is portrayed as clumsy but charming. I think Ms. Stewart failed to tap into that and, in doing so, failed her stronger co-stars. On a positive note, I thought the acting by Jacob, Alice, and Laurent was superb. Jacob is so handsome, and not just his body, his face and acting as well. He really hit the spot! I couldn't get enough of him. He seemed like someone I know. Immature but irresistible. Protective, but not a bully. I would give him best actor and I would give alice best actress. This is probably personal, but she is exactly as I pictured her in the book. I think Alice is a role that could have been portrayed as cheesy and over-the-top, but in this film she seemed really genuine.

Overall, I think what stands out most in the films is the story. When you think of being in love, what is the absolute worst thing that could possibly happen? One of the lovers dying...and what could be even worse than that?? loving, and simultaneously wanting to kill, the one you love. Its unimaginable. Which is why I think all credit should go to the author, Stephanie Meyer.

3 comments:

Sam Jo said...

Jacob does very much hit the spot. {I was going to make a dirty joke but I will refrain!} Glad you liked!

Jodi said...

I also thought the cinematography was great! I got dizzy when Bella is in the woods and they were swirling around her.

Sam Jo said...

I went and saw it again...